Monday, February 3, 2014

Shaheen Dreams


What is about Shaheen dresses that make my heart sing? It is the lush fabric, the figure-flattering designs, or the vast variety of brightly colored, mid-century, tropical prints? It is all of those things and more! I recently purchased my first two Whirling Turban dresses and I simply adore them! They are worth every pretty penny! I know I will enjoy them for many years. The quality and attention to detail are bar none.

Even though one of my 'vintage must haves' on my list has been fulfilled, I am still lusting for my very own Alfred Shaheen creation. Every time I see one in person at Viva or online on Esty or eBay, I heavily sigh with unrequited want and desire. Whenever I spot a girl Viva in her Shaheen and part of me wants to run over to her and ask, "where did you get your dress?! How much?!"  But, I would feel weird about doing so. I mean, how rude would that be!


First and foremost, Shaheen's designs are expensive.  I often see prices on Etsy range from $190 to $500. I have also seen items listed for $900 or more.  I have been fortunate to find dresses in my size (36-27-38) but not in my price range or not in good condition. I sometimes stumble upon a great deal in lovely condition but it is usually too small. Either I need to lose weight or keep looking! Since I refuse to give up my addictions to Starbucks latte and dark chocolate infused with sea salt caramel, I need to keep looking.

I think the phrase, "all good things come to those who wait" is going to be my mantra in my search.  I just need to be patient.

In the mean time, I have this gorgeous website to inspire me and whet my appetite:

http://www.alfredshaheen.com/

http://www.alfredshaheen.com/vintageclothing&women.htm

So, do you have any Shaheens? How many? What era is your favorite? 50s? 60s? 70s? Where is a good place to buy/search?


11 comments:

  1. I love Shaheen dresses! I have two. One is a late 60s hostess maxi-dresses and the other is a mid-60s tiki/bohemian shift. They are gorgeous and frothy and chiffon-y but hard to wear unless you have exactly the right occasion. I got them for an absolute steal or I probably wouldn't have them at all. I'm a weirdo about making my own stuff and/or only buying things if they are a screaming deal. Anyway, I'm thinking about making my own Shaheen-esque sarong-style dress with Gertie's new pattern for Butterick. I'm a little worried about learning how to do shirring, but I love the look of this dress.

    http://butterick.mccall.com/b6019-products-47993.php?page_id=147

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky that you have two and you found them for a good deal! I bet they are gorgeous! I would love to be able to sew. I am lucky if I can make simple cafe curtains and pillow covers! Lol!

      I really like that pattern! I think with a lovely bit of tropical fabric, you could whip up a gorgeous creation for sure!

      Delete
  2. Ah...Shaheen! I sure hope you find your Shaheen dream one of these days! I am fortunate enough to have found one in the late 1990s for something ridiculous like $20 or $30. I have worn it so many times and to so many Vivas and it is still in perfect shape so even if you have to spend a bunch, it will last!

    It's the one in this post...
    http://likeatreeinthedesert.blogspot.com/2013/04/viva-las-vegas-16-recap-day-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!! You got that gorgeous green Shaheen for under 40 bucks?!?! I would die! It is BEAUTIFUL!! It looks perfect! I love it!!

      It is a shame those prices are extinct. I recall finding Pendleton jackets and beaded cardigans in college for nothing! Now the prices can be crazy but if I look hard enough, I do find a deal here and there. Oh the good 'ol days of the early-mid 90s! lol!

      Delete
  3. The prints on any vintage dress is what gets my heart signing. Especially novelty prints. Of course, I could never fit in them. Even if I were to lose a substantial amount of weight my body isn't built that way.

    Are you wearing the Whirling Turban dresses to Viva? I really wanted to go to Viva this year but it's just not feasible this time. I'm going to start saving up for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love prints too! I am a sucker for all things atomic era and tropical!

      I am on the shorter end of the spectrum of height (5'3.5) and I have a big bum (38 inches) and a small waist. I have to find things that accentuate my waist, conceal my bum, and make me look taller (oh and make my 34 b bust fuller). I cannot wear cat suits and most pencil skirts. Sarong styles are good but the waist has to be fitted. And I like boning for making me boobs look bigger. I would love a gold lame cat suit but my short legs and my big butt would look so bad! Lol!

      I am definitely going to Viva this year! And I am wearing my WT dresses for sure! I am sad you are not going though! I would love to meet you.

      Delete
    2. I love full skirts and fitted bodices. I feel a lot slimmer and prettier that way. I would love to wear pencil skirts but I don't like my belly much.

      Hopefully, I'll be able to go next year and we can meet up.

      Delete
  4. Oooh Whirling Turban! I would love one (or 50!) of those! :) I got my first Shaheen last summer. It is a mermaid-style, long dress, and fits like a glove - I love it, as I don't own anything else in that type of shape! I also got it for a steal. I will be bringing it to Viva, where I hope to meet you, m'dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love 50 Whirling Turban dresses myself!!! How lovely would that be? I guess I need to keep my eyes out for that Shaheen! I cannot lose sight of my goal! If I meant to find one in my size, I will! Again, I must be patient! I have over two months before Viva to find the one!

      And with that said, yes! I am definitely going to Viva for sure! We got our tickets in early December! I cannot wait! April cannot come soon enough! And I hope we can meet up! I would love to meet you!

      Delete
  5. I just got my very first Shaheen dress this past weekend! I'm so glad to have found your blog post about this. The price was so low I couldn't believe my luck. I didn't try it on in store as I figured it would fit being that it is my size - 14. Damned if it isn't to snug in the waist! I'm just getting my vintage shop ready to open but I plan on sell home decor and housewares. Perhaps I'll have to make an exception and part with it. It's so hard to know what to set the price at.
    ~melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments!

      I am so bummed your Shaheen did not fit! That must have been frustrating especially because of the good price! I have done that!

      A couple of years ago, I snagged a beautiful R and K Originals black crepe cocktail dress for a steal at vintage boutique and the label said "50s-27 waist." It was my size!

      I went home and tried it on and the waist was NO WHERE NEAR a 27! It was tiny! I took it off and measured the waist and it was 25 and 1/4. I was so so annoyed! I kept it and ended up having my sister take out a 1/2 of an inch on either side of the seam allowance. It managed to wiggle into it with a girdle. I think sellers sometimes can measure incorrectly from time to time.

      Good luck on your new shop! send me a link!! I am always on the hunt for vintage housewares!

      Delete