Thursday, August 29, 2013

New Tattoos!

Tattoos!  Whether you have them or not and whether you like them or not, tattoos are a fixture in the rockabilly/vintage culture.  Despite the fact that mainstream society still hesitant to accept body art, I have never felt more proud to collect and display my tattoos! 

One morning in late May 2000, I woke up and decided I wanted a tattoo.  I was 25 years old and about to start graduate school.  I was the antithesis of the impulsive 18 year-old hellbent on getting drunk and "getting inked."  I was a married, mild-mannered travel agent with a mortgage who was eager to earn a Master's Degree in Spanish.  By the end of the day, I had a simple black star tattoo on my lower left back/upper hip.  The entire piece took 10 minutes and was the size of a quarter.  I loved it.  A couple of months later, I found myself getting another tattoo, a Celtic design that was larger, boasted some color, and located on my upper back, between my shoulders.  That piece was a bit more painful and as a result, I told myself I was "done" with tattoos.   Less than a year later, I had a black line moon tattoo on my lower right leg/ankle.  So much for "being done."

Regardless of my suburban and professional life,  I continued to get more tattoos.  I am not sure if my fascination with tattoos stems from being an artist but there is just something about body art that enchants me. Nevertheless, as I ventured further into the world of ink, I transitioned from small, basic black outline pieces to large, full-color designs.  Whenever I completed a tattoo session, I thought, "that's it. This time I am done." Nope.  Not by a long shot.

In early 2007, I was preparing for my annual Colorado ski trip 2008 and I had this idea that it would be "cool" for me to get a half-sleeve cherry blossom and snowflake tattoo.  I thought there's no better way to capture my love of Colorado than getting tattooed in Colorado.  With this burning scheme in my head, I called a tattoo studio in Breckenridge and made an appointment for the last full day I was in town. 

On the morning of my appointment, I woke up feeling a nervousness I never experienced.  All of the tattoos I sat for previously were small and quick.  This tattoo, however, would be the first "big piece."  I took a few deep breaths and told myself I could do it.  Later that afternoon, I met my artist, Kauri Tiyme, and after filling out necessary paperwork, I sat in her chair and the next five and a half hours flew by!  When Kauri was done, I had a masterpiece on my skin.  I felt amazing.  I had the privilege of sitting in Kauri's chair for five more sessions, continuing in late summer of 2007 and ending on the 24th of September 2008.  Sadly, on the 22nd of October, 2008, Kauri was killed.  In the wake of Kauri's untimely and unfair death, I did not get tattooed for four years.  I couldn't.  I felt like if I got another tattoo, I would be cheapening Kauri's memory.

However, a year ago, I had a talk with a good friend of Kauri's and she told me that Kauri would have wanted me to move on and that the process of getting tattooed again could be a way to "let go" of the sorrow I was harboring for so long. 

In October 2012, I sat for beautiful alpine forget-me-not floral and starburst tattoo with artist Liaa Walter of Cirque Du Rouge Tattoo studio in Washington, D.C.  I had the piece done on my inner left forearm.  After our session was over, I felt a cleansing and lifting that I cannot describe.  Words will never do it justice. 

Since last fall, Liaa has touched up a couple of tattoos and created two lovely pieces for me.  In May, I had my father's words added to a flower tattoo I had done in 2006 and then fixed by Kauri in 2008.

As some of you may recall, my father has Alzheimer's and as a result, he is not able to write much anymore.  This tattoo was created by tracing my dad's words he wrote to me in a letter on my 18th birthday.  A couple of years ago, I found the letter whilst sorting through storage bins in my closet.  This letter is one of my prized possessions and I can so happy Liaa captured the little subtleties and nuances of my father's once beautiful handwriting. 

And just last week, Liaa covered up my very first tattoo, the ugly star, with this gorgeous peony bowl of beauty flower:


I sat for this tattoo for nearly two hours.  Let me tell you, it hurt. It hurt like hell.  Due to the proximity of my spine, the nerve-endings are very sensitive because they branch out from the vertebrae. Thus, this was one painful piece.  Despite the "ow factor," I am simply overjoyed with the stunning outcome!  Moreover, in late October, on the afternoon of Halloween to be exact, I am going back to Liaa so she can touch up my Celtic design and add more to it.  That tattoo is going to be a bit "squirrely," but I know I will endure. 

http://www.westword.com/2009-01-08/news/in-life-and-death-tattoo-artist-kauri-tiyme-made-her-mark/

http://liaawalter.com/home.html

15 comments:

  1. Thank you very much! :) I am super pleased with it! I have a week to go before it's fully healed. It's pieces like this flower that keep me hooked! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece! Loved reading about your personal history with tattoos as well! I keep thinking I am done and then suddenly feel the urge to get more. It is never ending. Especially when you have a good artist to go to. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) For a long time, I thought I was done but then I had to get more. The process of getting tattooed again was very cleansing and good for me. It's funny how we forget the pain and go back again and again!

      It's also funny that when I have to have blood drawn or a flu shot, I cringe and freak out. The nurses think I am crazy! LOL! I always tell them there is a huge difference between scratching into the third layer of skin versus stabbing into it! Eww!!

      Delete
  3. That peony is gorgeous! She is a very talented tattoo artist. I got my first tattoo at 20, my first initial (an owl) in Egyptian hieroglyph on my upper left hip. Then I got a shitty fairy on my left hip. Never let other people pick tattoos for you. That hurt and got very swollen. A year later I got a heart under my owl. A couple of years after that I got my biggest piece done. This time I did my research and looked at the artist's portfolio. I got a Japanese Lucky Cat tattooed on outer left thigh. It is worlds apart from my other tattoos and I love it. I've been wanting to get some more but we can't really afford it out here. Also, I'd like to go back to my old tattoo artist to have him do it. Tattooing is a great way to express and decorate our bodies. Although my mother-in-law told me I was "defiling my body". Lol. I think of it as a decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments! :)

      My first tattoos were not great because I, too, did not do my research. I walked in, got inked, walked out. Then the regret came on. I was so into the idea of getting tattooed instead of getting a piece of art on my skin! Eugh. Now, I am all about the right artist.

      I love the idea of a Lucky Cat! They are so cool!

      My mom think I am defiling my body too. I see it as adornment. Like the lipstick, clothes, or hair, tattoos are just another form of beautification. I never understood the stigma many people, especially the older generations, harbor for tattoos. They think we are "destroying our bodies" or that we are criminals, convicts, or low-lives. I am happy that mindset is starting to change for the better.

      Delete
  4. I have it on good authority it also hurts more to go over where you already have ink. The peony is beautiful, my sister had a beautiful passion flower with a robin done last year to cover over her first and no longer loved tattoo.
    Me? I'd love one but I'm too damn scared of the pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you are not kidding! I had both of my half-sleeves touched up a while back and yes, it hurt more. The part of the peony design(part of the leaves) where the original tattoo was, hurt so bad. I said aloud, "OW!" I eventually got used to the sensation but I was so happy when we were done!

      If I can handle the pain, you probably can too! I am the biggest baby! I even get wonky and weirded out when it comes time for my yearly flu shot! The pain ranges from a scratching sensation to a bee sting. Sometimes, depending on location, it can feel like a burn. The ribs, torso, lower back, inner wrists, ankles, chest, feet, and neck hurt the most. Arms and legs hurt the least.

      Delete
  5. Like Miss Magpie I am also WAY to scared of the pain. Having a fear of needles since childhood doesn't really help my fear. *lol*
    Your Tattoo's are fantastic. I really love the one in your Dad's writing. (That is so sweet)
    Your Peony is Gorgeous (Great colors)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3

      I love the piece with my dad's writing. It is my favorite now.

      I have a fear of needles too. Do not get me started about the doctor's office!! The tattoo machine scratches into the third layer of skin but most hypodermic needles puncture. HUGE difference. It really is mind over matter. And keep thinking how pretty my skin is going to look to keep me motivated during the process.

      However, I do admit that I am NERVOUS just before my appointment! I am shaking and freaking out a bit but once I sit in the artist's chair and they start, I can deal.

      Delete
  6. Those tattoos are lovely! I agree about the one concerning your dad, that handwriting is beautiful. What a wonderful way to honor him!

    I love tattoos and I'm pretty sure I will always continue to get them! I have to say though, probably the most painful area would be the chest. I have a large piece that goes across and onto my shoulder...I will never forget that experience! I think with time though, your body gets used to the healing and pain. It seems each time I go in, the tattooed area recovers faster than the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments! :)

      I love tattoos as well! They are addicting. And yes, I am getting used to the sensation of tattooing more and more. The very first tattoo hurt so bad but now something that small would be nothing.

      I bet the chest area is a very sensitive spot! I know from friends' testimonies, ribs are spooky too.

      Delete
  7. Aww, how sweet. I love tattoos with a great story, and sometimes stories are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your nice comments! I think my tattoos should always speak to me. They are reminders to stay positive, focused, loving, and always put family first.

      Delete
  8. Prescription sunglasses are essential for many who are suffering from many or some other experienced problems.

    ReplyDelete