Friday, October 4, 2013

The Hair Chronicles! -A new look in a unknown world

It is has been exactly a month to the day since my last blog post.  In the time I been away from blogging, I have continued to work, got another cold, then allergies, and family visits. In addition, I have also got a new hair cut.  The story behind it is peppered with a variety of ups and downs.

As some of you may know, I began to grow out my Bettie bangs into an angled style. I started this process in August. Despite my initial hesitation to let go of my once-heralded look, I got the cut and felt great. I was ready for a change! However, this elation was soon eclipsed by the news that my stylist of one year, a stylist who was finally becoming accustomed to my hair, told me she was moving out of state in late September. I was sad. I am happy she is finding her bliss in her new home and new life, but damn it! My hair has needs! So, the quest to find a new stylist began.

In late September, I discovered a new salon in my area.  The website looked great and the vibe was hip, edgy.  I made my appointment for a stylist who seemed to have a good grasp of vintage styles.  On the day of my appointment, I was nervous (silly, I know) and excited. I arrived on time and after over 15 minute wait, I was sent back to get a root touch up and a couple of foils on my emerging blond highlight in my growing bangs.

After color, the stylist cut a section of hair behind my bangs. The overall look appeared to form a deep, wide triangle in my hairline. Because I wanted to grow out my bangs to do a "suicide roll" and/or a side-swept look, I needed a more dramatic bang line. The stylist also cut a couple of inches of my ends to help my wet sets shape better during home styling. Needless to say, I felt great. I found "vintage hair heaven" but alas, something was amiss in hair world and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Upon the completion of my mystical hair experience, I made my way over to the reception desk to check out. Then I heard, "That will be $155.00 today, please." What? What now? $155.00 for a basic highlight foil in my bangs, a cut, and root-touch up? My old salon was $105!! How much is full color gonna cost?! Good lord. I walked out there feeling both magical and in shock. My  hair was "Breck Girl" glowing but my wallet was crying and shaking in a corner, like it was just mugged in Central Park circa 1977.

A couple of days later, I washed my hair and when I was combing it out after my shower, I noticed several places where my roots were not touched up at all. I have natural light auburn roots (level 7) and my color is blue black (level 1). The contrast was really evident. Not only was I overcharged, my roots were patchy and uneven. I was pissed.

In spite of the fact I want perfection (especially for that price), I am reasonable. I do not expect me and a new stylist to be "on the same page" the very first visit, but I at least expect my color to be done correctly. Needless to say, I will not be going back there.

But, this story may have a happy ending! One of my friends who blogs, is an amazing seamstress, talented knitter, loves vintage, adores makeup, and is an awesome fun gal, is actually a board certified stylist in the next state.  She is very knowledgeable with vintage hair and how to create the looks I seek.

Even though my hair is okay for now and I am without a stylist at the moment, I am able to do a couple of new looks, apres-Bettie bangs:


The first look is with my bangs rolled back and the second is as they are styled forward in a side-swept look. As the months progress, I cannot wait to see what new styles I can create!

So, do you have any hair "she-mergencies?"

13 comments:

  1. Wow...$155?!?! That's crazy! Glad to hear you found a friend you can go to after that fiasco. You look great with your bangs both ways! Now if I could just find a miracle to make my hair grow out faster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Elisa! I was just floored when I was told $155 was the total! And what makes it sting even more is my shoddy roots!

      If you find a miracle hat speeds hair growth, let me know! Lol! Mine grows so slow!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I would have been livid and probably walked in there to give someone a piece of my mind. Most of the times I've been to a stylist I've come our depressed and hating my hair. I got a spiral once and paid $135 for it. It didn't take and the stylist said it was my fault. I wanted my money back but he said I could have store credit but no refunds. I went back every other month to get trims but stopped going after he started making snide remarks. So I ended up leaving $100 in store credit.
    I've taken to dying my own hair and only getting trims when I need them. That way if I mess up the color I have no one to blame but myself and I'm not out a ton of money. I do like the highlight you had put in. I have one on the crown of my hair on on one of the temples. It looks great when I style my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and comments!

      Wow, Mariela! How snarky that the stylist you went to had the gall to blame you for a perm not taking and then adding insult to injury by making snide comments. Rude.

      I wish I could do my own roots. I can do my own hairline, temple, and hair part touch-up with one of those 10 minute box retouch kits but I cannot do the whole head touch up! I am afraid I would mess up!

      Delete
  3. I like how your new bangs look on you! I'm having the same problems....I moved and now can't afford the $$$ to get my hair done like I use to do. :( I debate every month about driving the two hours to go back to my old stylist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and compliment!

      I want my hair done right but I also want to be more wise with my money, especially during this govenment shutdown! (I am a fed contractor)

      I am often shocked at how high the costs are some salons. For example, I used to go to a place to get my brows waxed and tinted and I was charged $60! Then I found a place that did them for $35! Not only is my esthetician cheaper, her brow skills are better! The other place was crazy expensive and they were doing my brows too thin! Not good when you want a proper 50s-look!

      Delete
  4. Did you ask your old stylist for recommendations? I probably would have gone back and asked them to fix my hair, especially at that price

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laura, I did. She knows I want a vintage style but most of the other stylists in her former salon are not really well-versed when it comes to middy cuts, wet sets, and rolls.

      As for the salon that overcharged me, I called and let them know and they were very dismissive. Never again.

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain I have been waivering between stylist for the last couple of years. One of the local vintage girls just got her first job in a salon and went and saw her but the price was $98 for a cut, full foil, and some face waxing as she is also. that sounds good until you know that the saloon charges half price for new clients. Yikes not sure I will go back. I wish I live closer to my friend in texas as she would do a fabulous job on my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to a place like that! It is total hair nirvana! You get a great cut, color, feel amazing, and the price is right and they state it's a "one-time new client special." And then reality hits. Eugh.

      Delete
  6. the soft side bangs on the last pic are very flattering! love the way you always wear necklaces... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prescription sunglasses are necessary for those who suffer from various as well as other experienced issues.

    ReplyDelete