Friday, February 18, 2011

Outfit Post- Light Cotton Dress on a Warm Day in February

Even though it is February, the current temperature today in the DC area is 74 degrees! One of our local meteorologists, Doug Hill of ABC7 News, stated that we could possibly break temperature records! I was hoping for more snow despite the fact everyone else is pining to spend the day outside! Oh well. Maybe a huge blizzard will come next month. It is still winter afterall.

Nevertheless, due to the spring-like weather, today I am wearing the new 1950s brown plaid cotton dress I bought off Etsy earlier this week.  I paid 32.00 USD. The fabric is light and the plaid is a mix of warm red, slate blue, and grayish khaki green. 

Here I am this morning before leaving the house. The sun wasn't even up yet. I had to take care of my mother-in-laws cats before my early morning meetings.
Since the dress was missing its original belt, I put on a red one. To  further enhance the red tones in my dress, I wore my 40s red carved bakelite earrings along with my slowly expanding bakelite bangle collection:
I adore the collar on this dress but it needed a little extra sparkle so I put on a vintage brooch my mother-in-law gave me a few years ago:
After taking these pictures, I realized my 40s vintage brown and white saddle shoes were somewhat 'ho-hum,' so I quickly changed my shoes to my red suede wedges:
So, even though it is not a winter wonderland, I admit that I am enjoying wearing lighter fabric and no stockings! Heck, I may even go outside with my sketch book when I get home!

Next Tuesday, the weather forecasts are calling for temperatures to be in the 30s again. No snow is coming but again, it is still winter! A girl can still hope!

14 comments:

  1. wow 74! That's high in Feb, it was 41 here today and going to get colder there is snow forecast for the north of the UK tomorrow brrrr

    I love that dress it really looks lovely on you, especially the colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Fiona, 74! I am about to leave the office for the day to enjoy what day is left! I am going home to open all the windows so I can get some fresh air in! The temps are going down tomorrow and by next week, things will be back to normal. I could do with some snow so if you do not want it, send it my way! lol!

    Thanks for the comments about my new dress! It fits great and I love the fact it has pockets. I need to learn to make dresses myself! I have a few day and house dress patterns that I would love to make. I am still learning to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your outfit! And what a fabulous bakelite bangle collection. Amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, rosie-alia! I love bakelite and I just started collecting it about a year ago. I have only one carved bangle right now and I so want more! But carved bakelite is insanely expensive! I just need to find a great piece for good price!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling dress and oh my!!! The bangles are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so good Tara! That dress is beautiful and I love the accessories you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dress! Love the wedges as well. Where did you get those?

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you are such a cutie patootey. we must meetup sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DFW girlie girl,

    Thanks! I am slowly working on expanding my bakelite collection! I am always looking for a good piece for a good price!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Brook! I found the red suede wedges on Zappos a few years ago. They are made by Natural Comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the compliment, Sue! I am in Northern Va and I would love to meet up too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, LOVE your bling and the res shoes! *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Little Rascal! I love my red wedges too! I have had them since 2007 and they are starting to fall apart. I have been trying to find an exact pair to replace them but with no luck. I think I need to just find another pair similar in style.

    ReplyDelete