Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Updated Odds and Ends in the Kitchen

I have been trying to "take it easy" with spending money and/or updating the house since the holiday season is coming up. However, I have made a few (cheap!) additions to the kitchen that I thought I would share with you all!

The above photo shows my handmade kitchen curtains and three hanging starbursts! The shiny, aqua blue starbursts are actually Christmas ornaments that I found at Michael's Crafts for $2.99 USD each! The aqua color pairs nicely with the blues in the kitchen.

While at Michael's, I bought another sheet of atomic rub-on transfers. I also bought the square white ceramic vase on the right. I simply put some transfers on it to jazz it up! I also put a transfer on my Fiestaware pitcher. I know it looks faint but it kind of blends in due to the vibrant blue glaze.

Here is a potholder I made using a remnant of Circa 50 fabric in "Space" and a yard of 5/8 inch wide teal blue velvet ribbon. I bought a yard of the fabric on Etsy a while back. I made a tablecloth out of it for my kitchen table about a month ago or so.

Here is an upclose look at the potholder:

I also ordered a fat quarter of the Circa 50 "Starbursts" fabric (matches my kitchen curtains) last week. I am going to make decorative tea towels to hang off my stove.

I think my kitchen is pretty much finished. I would like to update my guest bathroom and powder room but I think I will wait until the holidays are over.

There is so much I want to do in my house but I need to be patient! You should see my favorites list on Etsy right now! It is so hard to "be good!"

15 comments:

  1. I really like your yellow/green combinations, such a great colour scheme. One day when I have my own house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute...I really have to get to Michaels to find some of those transfers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Penny! My best friend and I painted the kitchen yellow about 8 years ago. We also did a few gold stencils. The previous owner had this terrible white and yellow plaid wallpaper on the walls! It screamed 80s! Over the summer, I slowly began updating the kitchen with vintage shades of blue and aqua. I also have a few bits of red (ie my electric mixer, toaster, and the big Fiestaware bowl on my kitchen table). I would love to have a 50s chrome toaster. It is on my Christmas list. The red one I have is a cheapie and its starting to burn everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,

    The transfers are cheap and they are so easy to use! The design is called "Cosmic."

    I have put them on metal, ceramic, my fridge, and even my mircowave door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what great deals..yes love the colores too..love those transfers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. must go to Michael's! looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola, La Dama! I think I am going to do another giveaway for those transfers! They are just too cool and there are so many wonderful uses for them!

    I would also like to get more of those starburst decorations in other colors for my Christmas tree! The craft store had a good selection of vintage-looking ornaments. It's gonna be an atomic Christmas this year! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh cant wait..I am heading over to California for Christmas, going to hit Michaels for cute transfers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whaaaa I wish we had a Michaels in the UK! Ah well. Anyway looking great lady, I love what you're doing with all the small finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. La Dama,

    Be sure to stock up! Those transfers go quick because they can go on anything from ceramics, plastics, metal to glass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Straight Talking Mama! I am having fun with the house wares but I just need to be mindful of my spending! It's November already! I need to start making my holiday list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colours & the curtains look fab.The transfers on the vase was a great idea,it looks so good!
    The space fabric was a great buy,i love that you have used it for the potholders too & once you have the tea towels it will all tie into together so nicely,well done!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! What fab fabric!


    ps- I've always loved your finds for your atomic decorations in your home!



    http://thefonduegoddess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comments and compliments, Mrs. Cleaver! I just got the fat quarter of the Starburst fabric yesterday and I washed it today! I am going to make the tea towels this weekend and then I will post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, FondueGoddess! I have founds lots of vintage and vintage-inspired fabrics on Etsy! The fabric store by my house is severely lacking with their selection of prints!

    ReplyDelete