Monday, April 8, 2013

Getting Back on the Horse (ie Blogging) Again

Before I begin, I would like to apologize for being away.  Here it is April and I have not written a post nor commented on anyone's blog since October, 2012! I could regale you all with my tale why I have been away but it would be a loooong post. They say, "spin a yarn," but in my case it would be "make sweaters for an entire platoon!" With that said, I will spare you all the "nitty gritty" explaining my absence. However, I will tell you some of it. Not that I have anything to hide,  I just want to keep things on point (vintage topics).

In October 2012, I had a new tattoo done! After four years of waiting, I finally had new artwork. The experience was bittersweet but worth it when it was completed.
In November, Thanksgiving came and went. After the holiday, my husband and I began the process of refinancing our home and we did major renovations. The inside of the house was covered in tarps and plastic due to spackle, paint, and sanding. The updates continued during December and ended just before New Year's Eve! (I will post pictures soon.) Nevertheless, trying to enjoy and celebrate the Holidays while doing renovations proved to be a challenge of epic proportions but we managed to pull it off!

As some of you are aware, my father has Alzheimer's.  In the last couple of years since his official diagnosis, I have been helping Mom and Dad with running errands, doctor visits, and just being there for both of them. Dad has good days and not-so-great ones but overall, he's doing well considering the circumstances. Now that warmer weather is coming, I know Dad will be even better because he and Mom can get out and go for walks and spend time in the yard to do some needed gardening. My father's neurologist tells us that physical activity is vital for Dad's health and well-being.

As 2012 became 2013, my work schedule increased as did my gym workouts. Last July, I found myself 14-15 pounds heavier due to bad food choices and lazy excuses for not making myself run or lift weights. I cut out alcohol for a month last summer and now I barely drink anymore. I turned 38 last week and I know maintaining my health and body weight is only going to get more difficult. Whether my life is super busy or not, the gym will not be sacrificed!
In early March, Big Daddy (aka the husband) and I went skiing for over a week in Colorado. It was such an amazing trip! We both were so excited to go after a three-year hiatus! 
We skied every day, dined out, enjoyed evening cocktails, watched the snow fall as we soaked in the hot tub outside our condo, and simply took in all the wonder the Rockies gloriously bestowed upon us.

Upon our return home, I realized we had two weeks before we had to travel again for Viva Las Vegas 16! I washed and put away all the ski clothes and got out all the Hawaiian dresses, cocktail frocks, Polly shoes, and playsuits. I went to the dry cleaners, had dresses taken in, got the hair color refreshed, and packed (again!).

This year's Viva came and went so fast!
I will do a Viva post soon! I got lots of great photos this year! Nevertheless, it was a fabulous Viva and it was so wonderful seeing a lot of my fellow bloggers too!

Speaking of blogging, while I was at Viva, I had quite a few people come up to me and introduce themselves. A few asked, "Are you the DC Metro Retro?" I was stunned and flattered! People read my blog?! I also had some ask why I had not posted anything for a while. I did not go into crazy detail, but I explained being busy with work and my Dad.

After I got home from Las Vegas, I thought about the people who asked about my blog and it got me thinking: why am I making excuses about not blogging? I am a writer for my work and even though 'work writing' can be exhausting, I enjoy writing. Simply put, I love writing. Period. I need to write and it is very "zen" for me. I feel a calm and a sense of peace when I write and yet, there I was, month after month, shying away from one of the things I probably needed the most.

With all of this said, I am back and back with an energy that is burning! I have so many posts I want to talk about. I also have so many fabulous blogs I need to catch up and comment on!

So, here I am, ready to blog, ready to rock. Yeah, I said it, "rock." Let's do this!








24 comments:

  1. Life takes priority over a blog in my opinion. I've gone a couple of weeks without updating and have felt bad. A lot of bloggers are cool enough to understand that sometimes we can't sit down and write out a post.

    I love and appreciate all of my followers but sometimes I just don't have anything to write about. You had a very busy period and most people will understand.

    By the way, you look great! I'm going to start going for walks and doing my video workouts soon. I need to gain some confidence in myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments! I agree that life takes priority and yes, most people very understanding if you do not post often. I love to write and I know it's good for my being. I need to just find a balance.

      Thank you also for commenting my workouts. I feel great and I need to really make time because Viva just ended and the food in Vegas is just too good! Doing walks and working out at home is wonderful! It just makes you feel powerful and beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Yay!! I have been missing all of your posts, so glad to hear that you are back! You look fabulous too and congrats on having to have dresses taken in! That is such a good feeling. This weekend was my last hurrah in eating crap. With the spring time and farmers markets opening up, it's a great time to get a fresh start! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brittany! <3 You always look stunning! I just got back from Viva so no more cocktails and good Vegas cuisine! It's back to healthy habits and lots of workouts and water! I love going to the farmers' market! The nearest one is in DC and it's amazing!

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are back! I am so glad I got to see you last weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kim! I was so FABULOUS seeing you!! You always looked so great and it was wonderful getting to chat as well! I am so amazed it's already over!

      Delete
  4. You look fantastic! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisa, for your lovely comments!

      Delete
  5. Tara- I'm so glad you are back! I didn't see you at Viva this year but would have given a swift "hello" had I.

    Looking forward to your upcoming posts and pics of your reno.

    Here's to smooth sailing for the next few months!

    Cheers,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,

      Thank you for your comments! You did Viva too! How cool! It was great this year and I got to see old friends and make new ones too! It is such a huge venue and meeting people can be tough! We all need to do a blogger meetup next year!

      Delete
  6. So good to see you back. It is so easy to put both blogging and excercise on the wayside. I have been really trying to get in better shape and you are right after 38 it does get tougher. I skipped viva this year in lou of a trip to Hawaii and it is not looking good for next year either. I look forward to hearing all about it on your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope all is well with you! A trip to Hawaii?! Sounds awesome! Did you go already? I went in July 2006 and it was magical! I hope you can make it one year to Viva! I would love to meet you!

      Delete
  7. Hi! I discovered your blog searching for a middy cut and I'm so glad you are back. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog and your comments!

      Delete
  8. Good to see you back Tara! I have also been a 'bad blogger' of late...just busy I guess, but I will be back soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare! I hope all is well with you! Being busy can be insane at times! I look forward to your upcoming posts! <3

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I was just wondering where you had gone the last time I logged on glad your back ;-) and you look amazing Btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments!! It feels good to be back!

      Delete
  11. I wish to go over a certain amount of nice thing about it to any or all man or woman. I managed to get a few free prescription glasses on the web.

    ReplyDelete