Thursday, July 22, 2010

MAC Glitter Eye Look Tutorial


This is a tutorial for creating sparkly eye looks for a special event, a night on the town, or anytime you want! The mediums I use are MAC Pro Eyeliner Mixing Medium and MAC Pro Glitter. In order to purchase Pro products from MAC, one has to have an account. If you are a model, makeup artist, or photographer; you can get an application either online at www.macpro.com or at any MAC free-standing store. It costs $35.00 to first join the program and then you need to pay the same amount only once a year to renew. You will not only get access to Pro products, you will get 30% off most MAC items (not including Viva Glam products or special, promotional products).

If you do not have access to MAC Pro products, you can purchase glitters from LA Splash (available at most Ulta locations and cost $6.99 USD) or glitters from Make Up For Ever (available at Sephora for $13.00 USD). Also, you are going to need a gel formula mixing medium intended for eyes like Illamasqua's Sealing Gel (available at Sephora online for $15.00 USD).

Now, you can also buy 'pre-mixed' eye glitter gel if you are new to the world of makeup and glitter use. Urban Decay makes a glitter eyeliner that comes in a tube with a brush wand attached. This product has glitter suspended in a gel formula that can be applied as a liner or on the eyelid. The Urban Decay product costs $18.00 USD and comes in 11 glitter shades ranging from hot pink, silver, black iridescent, purple, lime green, gold, beige, to aqua blue. Remember, if you want to stick to a vintage, 40s look, select glitters in the gold, beige, opal, or light pink range. If you want to do a 50s/early 60s look, lighter shades or green and blue are fantastic.

Here is something very important you need to know: Glitters MUST be applied properly and with the proper mixing mediums! If you try to apply glitter on your eyes without an eye-safe gel, you can cause SERIOUS eye irritation! Also, if you use the method below, you will reduce the risk of glitter getting into your eyes.

Here is what you are going to need:

Fine Glitter like MAC, LA Splash, Make Up For Ever or Urban Decay Glitter liner
Mixing medium like MAC Mixing medium for Eyeliner or Illamasqua Sealing Gel
A small, flat eyebrush like MAC's 242
Makeup cleasing wipes
A hairdryer

The glitter I am using is MAC Pro's Reflects Transparent Pink:

I open my mixing medium eyeliner gel and I squeeze out a half of a pea-size dot on the back of my clean hand:

Using my MAC 242 brush, I dip my brush into the glitter and pick up a small amount. Then, I mix this glitter with the gel on the back of my hand:

I then swipe a small amount of the glitter-gel mixture with my brush:

And, then I apply to my lower lid using a gentle pat-motion. The result should look something like this:

I repeat this process on my other eye and then I close my eyes and dry using a back and forth motion with my hair dryer on a low, cool setting.
When I am done, this is how it looks:

If you prefer to use the Urban Decay glitter eyeliner, simply apply on your lids using a flat brush like the 242. You will need to dry with the hair dryer to help prevent any transfer to the upper lid area.

When the time comes to take your glitter eye makeup off, I find that Pond's Cold Cream or MAC's Cleanse Off Oil are both good. Simply close your eye and apply the cream or oil in a downward motion. Use a warm, damp washcloth to remove any traces of glitter, eye makeup, and cream/oil. Again do this in a downward motion.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Blackberry! My natural brow color is pale blond (even though I am a natural redhead). I get them tinted and waxed every 6 weeks at my local salon. I also use MAC's Penultimate Brown pen in-between visits to help maintain their color and shape.

    ReplyDelete