Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Basic Nude Eye Look for Daytime

In honor of the fast-approaching Viva Las Vegas 14, I would like to present a nude eye tutorial. The first three eye tutorials were bright, intensely-hued, glittery looks appropriate for evening. This one, however, is a simple look that would be great for day.  In the 40s and 50s, day makeup was basic. The eyes were left understated and the focus was on defined brows, black glossy lashes, rougey cheeks, and a strong red lip. However, in the evening, ladies often wore shades of blue, green, gray, or lavender on eyes.

Moreover, if you want to keep this look 'low-key' but want to 'kick it up a notch,' you can add a black cat wing eyeliner on the top lashline.

Here is me before makeup this morning. Eugh! I need to get some makeup on my face quickly!
To start, I applied Nars Pro-Prime Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base on my entire eyelid to brow bone and on my lower lid, I applied my own blend of MAC Paint Pots in Soft Ochre and Painterly:
 Then, I applied MAC shadow in Orb (a pale matte vanilla custard) using a MAC 213 brush. On my crease, I applied MAC's Omega shadow (a soft, matte cork brown) using a MAC 230 brush. I then applied MAC Vanilla shadow (a satiny pale vanilla ice cream shade with hint of shimmer) on my brow bone using a 217 brush. To finish, I curled my lashes with my She Uemura curler and coated lashes with MAC Opulash in Bad, Bad, Black.
Orb is the second shadow in the top row. Omega is the last shadow in the second row and Vanilla is the first shadow in the first row.
From left to right: MAC 213, MAC 230, and MAC 217.
Here is an upclose view. Sorry for the odd 'tawniness' under my eyes. My camera phone was casting a shadow.

My next and final tutorial will feature a silver and silver glitter look. Tomorrow will mark exactly three weeks until Viva! Hope to see you all soon!

14 comments:

  1. You make me realise more and more how much I don't pay attention to my make up! Sadly I'm broke right now but as soon as I have cash I'll be investing in more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sultry Mama,I love nudes.tu pelo is looking more hermoso.you look good with or without make up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I enjoy your blog since finding it a few months back. I have even purchased the MAC penultimate liner! I'd love a tutorial on this as your brows are immaculate, and I'm still getting used to using the liner opposed to my normal pencil.

    Thanks!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to decide since you posted this if I should give this nude tutorial a try. My problem is since I always wear glasses nowadays, I feel like spending much time on my eyeslids is a lost cause. So I stick with black mascara and sometimes cat wing eyeliner but rarely do I use any shadow of any kind. I'm tempted to try this, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Geez, I meant eyelids, not eyeslids.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fiona,

    After buying a few things for Viva, I am on a self-imposed buying restriction until I get to Vegas. I am going to save money for the vendors and Sephora shopping! So, I can relate. I created the shadow looks using what I had on hand. If you have basic nude shadows already, you can do this look easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muchas gracias, La Dama! Yo adoro colores neutrales! As for my pelo, I am happy with the fact its getting longer! I can do more styles! I want to grow it longer so I am only getting trims every 12 weeks instead of every 6.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for following my blog, Sheri! Also, thank you for the comments! I will be sure to do a brow tutorial soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tasha, I wear glasses too but I only wear them for distance, driving, and watching TV. I wear nude shadows most of the time anyway and like you, I will also do a cat wing eyeliner. I tried wearing contacts but due to my astigmatism, the lenses irritated my eyes big time! I prefer wearing my cat eye frames anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello.what a lovely look.I like the shape of your eye brows.I can never get a nice shape cuzmine are thin.I'm also going to VLV.This is my first VLV but second trip to vegas.Last one was the rockabilly rave at the orleans.I am so excited it's around the corner.I am sure to bring my whole closet.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and I just became your 200th follower, how awesome! Anyways, I'm excited I found you, I LOVE your makeup tips, trust girl, I need them.

    Besos,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you like vanilla as a highlighter in comparison to Shroom? I tagged you in a meme on my blog! http://everybranch.blogspot.com/2011/04/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete