Friday, January 21, 2011

Etsy Haul! A new coat, a bag, and a 49er jacket!

Despite my desire to save money (my annual two-week Colorado ski trip and Viva are coming up), I still find myself buying vintage wares! Recently, I purchased a new coat, a black suede handbag, a plaid 49er jacket, and a black angora turtleneck.

The gray wool Banana Republic coat that I wear daily has started to come apart. I bought it in October 2005. The lining is torn on the pleat,  it's missing a button, and the belt that adorns the back is now falling off. Despite the its flaws, I am amazed this coat has served me well for over 5 years!  Due to my coat's demise, I decided to look for a replacement and last week I found this lovely, taupe colored, wool-alpaca blend,1950s deadstock Rothmoore coat for under $60.00 USD:

As my turtleneck situation, one of my most-worn pieces is a black merino blend Forever 21 sweater that has become a pilled mess!  I bought it last winter for 17.00 USD. Forever 21 merchandise is not known for its longevity! Forever 21 is famous for being cute, trendy, and cheap! Nevertheless, I wore that turtleneck with wide leg pants, rolled jeans, and skirts. Because a black turtleneck pairs well with so many things, I got this one:


As for the plaid 49er jacket, I have been wanting one for a long time! It is so perfect to wear with a turtleneck and rolled jeans on the weekends! It is a must have for casual wear!  I got this 1950s, red plaid jacket for under 20.00 USD!

I needed a new black handbag and I think a girl can never have too many accessories! I bought this 50s, black suede beauty for 22.00 USD!
I am pleased with my purchases and I glad I did not "break the bank!" The next 'must-have' I have my eye on is a 50s party dress! I need to update my fancy attire collection!

So, what finds have you girls bought lately?

20 comments:

  1. I nabbed a late 40s/early 50s rickshaw brooch (with a working wheel!!!) last week. I think I'm developing some sort of brooch addiction. I may need an intervention soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a lot luck finding gloves that are big enough latley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I stumbled upon a red vintage petticoat for 10.00.
    I seriously wore it for about 30 min around my house.. I love it! haha
    I love all your finds and purchases. The coat will look great on you and that purse is darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh nice finds I love the plaid jacket. I haven't been looking lately, I'm avoiding as I'm broke and I want to make stuff as I have the material, so I'm on an enforced buying ban!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What super buys!I love them all,great bargains too:)
    Did you get the plaid jacket from etsy?
    I just bought a really cute 60's green floral dress with a hawaian label ,it's so cute i can't wait to wear it & it only cost me U.S$16!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love that Pendleton!! It's going to look wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh great finds... Im always a sucker for a nice vintage bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Betty: Just stopping by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate,

    I was into brooches for a while too! I have really gotten into collecting bakelite bangles in the last year and I am really getting too! I think I will need an intervention myself! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura,

    I just bought a new pair of 50s black suede gloves to go with my new coat! The sleeves are a bit short and I needed a longer pair of gloves to keep me warm! My modern Thinsulate pair only comes to my wrists! And considering the fact it was 19 degrees when I got to my local salon this morning, I need all the warmth I can get! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brook,

    I am wearing the plaid jacket today and it is so warm! It looks great with my black turtleneck and my rolled jeans. Perfect for a lazy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melzaelf,

    Thanks for the comments! I wore my vintage coat yesterday and it is perfect! I love the bag too! It holds all my essentials nicely without being overstuffed! That is great that you found a petticoat for such a great price! I have two and I love wearing them with circle dresses and skirts! I feel like a vintage princess! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fiona,

    I need to have more will power like you! I am so weak and that is my problem! I see things on Etsy and I throw my frugality out the window. However, I do need to save more. The annual ski trip is coming up and the man and I would like to have some "fun money!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs. Cleaver,

    I found my lovely 49er jacket on Etsy! I am wearing it today and it looks great! I am very warm too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the comments, Ginger! I am wearing my 49er today and I love it! It is warm as can be! I am so amazed how cozy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clare,

    I am a sucker for bags too! I would love to eventually buy a 50s lucite bag but they can be pricey! I have seen a few on Etsy that are priced low but they usually have major flaws! I need to save up for one that's in pristine condition! Of all the vintage wants I have, a lucite bag is on the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, JJ! I hope all is well in the sunshine state!

    ReplyDelete