Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Most Amazing Blond/Highlight Shampoo Ever! Clairol Shimmer Lights!

Now that I have my beloved blond highlights back, I want to share with you all one of the best highlighting shampoos ever created: Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo in "Blonde/Silver!"  This "holy grail" shampoo has been a mainstay in my hair care arsenal since 2008. You can find this shampoo at Sally Beauty Supply stores, online at Sally Beauty's website, www.haircareusa.com, and www.ballbeauty.com. I know other places/sites should have it on stock as well. I buy the 16 ounce bottle at Sally Beauty for $8.49 USD. The shampoo also comes in a 4 ounce bottle as well as a 32 ounce size.

This Clairol Shampoo is intended for natural and highlighted blondes who want bright, platinum tones instead of yellow. The violet color cancels out any brassiness. Right now, I have quite a bit of yellow/warmth in the lower half of my hair. Over the next couple of salon visits, these tones will be bleached out. I would love to have my hair all platinum now but doing so would be very damaging! It is best to process hair slowly. Due to the presence of these yellowy sections, I use this shampoo to brighten the platinum tones and to help fade the warmth in my blond.

In fall 2008, my stylist, Corry, colored my hair black with platinum blond on top:
After my color was done, I used Pureology Hydrate Shampoo as well as Pantene's blonde shampoo. I washed my hair with the Pantene a few times a week to help brighten/maintain my blond but its results were lackluster. Moreover, the shampoo began to dry out my hair! I needed something that would help brighten as well as condition.

When I was in Aspen, Colorado for a 5 week business trip in November 2008, I visited Carl's Pharmacy with the hopes of finding a better replacement for the Pantene shampoo. As I browsed the shelves in the hair care section, I stumbled upon "Clairol Shimmer Lights Blond and Silver Shampoo." I bought a 16 ounce bottle for 11.00 USD (gotta love that resort ski town mark-up!).

After my gym workout the next day, I washed my hair with my new shampoo. The shampoo was a super bright violet pearl shimmer that had a light, pleasant clean-scented fragrance. It had a creamy, thick lather too. I rinsed my hair, applied conditioner, and rinsed in cool water.

As I towel-dried my hair, I could already see that my hair looked more platinum. I really noticed the difference when I blow-dried my hair! Wow! Most of the remaining yellow tones were pretty much gone!

Yesterday, I used the Shimmer Lights once again and I today notice that my blond looks brighter. The yellow tones are still there but they are not as glaring. My hair also feels soft too!

So, if you have blond hair and/or highlights that need brightening, then give Clairol Shimmer Lights Blonde and Silver Shampoo a try! If you also want blond conditioning, Clairol also makes a coordinating conditioner!

8 comments:

  1. Loved this product too!! Although I have black hair ,I use this all the time on my clients , who have blonde or silver hair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Amethyst,

    My stylist uses it too! I see huge bottles of it in the shampoo area at the salon. I love the smell and the way it makes my blond bright! I still have a lot of warmth in the ends of my hair. I want it gone now but I know it will only come out when my stylist uses the bleach again in 6 weeks or so. I just need to be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this sometimes, but find that it can turn my hair purple easily. I really prefer Joico, Color Endure in Violet, because it doesn't do that, and it helps my set last longer. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, thats the problem if you use it way to much (turning purple ) Its good for like once every 2 weeks to make your hair lively. :D But every other day.... errrr yeah i can see how it can turn your hair purple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dollie,

    I had that happen with L'Oreal Professionel a few years ago! My bright blond had bits of purple in it! Ack! I had to use Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo to get it out and then my hair was so dry! The best blond brigthening results I have ever experienced is from this Clairol shampoo but I only use it a couple times a week. I suspect that if I used it every day, it too would cause purple hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Amethyst,

    So, other than using violet shampoos, is there anything I can use to help tone down the warm tones in the lower half of my highlighted chunk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get my hair highlighted several times a year so I really need something that is going to make my hair smooth and it not be dried out anymore. Shielo Hydrate conditioner has really helped in so many ways. For one I love the smell it is not strong but also not to weak it is the right amount of a smell. Another thing the Shielo Hydrate shampoo itself is not really thick it has a silky smooth feel to it. It lathers up really really well and cleans so well.

    Another thing is that you don't have to keep rinsing your hair to get all of the shampoo it comes out very well. Also I have to little kids and one thing is really nice about this is that it is mild enough on the skin that you can use it to wash your little ones hair so that is a plus for me.

    ReplyDelete