Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vintage Makeup Featuring Ben Nye Fireworks Cream Shadow and Besame Red Lipstick!

This is me, wearing Ben Nye Fireworks Cream shadow in FW1 ($8.95 USD) and Besame Red lipstick ($22.00 USD) by Besame Cosmetics. You can purchase Besame products online at http://www.besamecosmetics.com/index.cfm. You can find Ben Nye cosmetics at various online sites and at Ricky's NYC locations in New York City. (I bought my shadow cream at Ricky's NYC in the East Village during my last trip).

Ben Nye Cosmetics is a theatre/special effects makeup that is just amazing. Most of their products are for the stage but they carry several items that can be used for day-to-day wear. For instance, Ben Nye's line of cream shadows! These little shadow creams come in small clear jars. They remind me of MAC's Paint Pots and Make Up For Ever's Aqua Creams. The level of pigmentation is intense and can be layered. You can also apply these sheer for a more subtle look. When using any type of cream shadow, you will have more long wear and better color pay off if you apply a shadow base like Nars Pro-Prime Smudge-Proof Shadow Primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion, or Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I tried wearing the Ben Nye and/or the MUFE Aqua Creams without a primer and they both had the tendency to crease/slide off the lids!

For my look, I primed my eyelids with a small amount of NARS' primer. Then using MAC's 242 brush, I applied the Ben Nye gold cream shadow to my lids. Then, I put MAC's Gorgeous Gold (a sheer, shimmery gold) on top of the Ben Nye cream shadow. On my crease, I applied MAC's Copperplate eyeshadow (a grayish-matte brown). On my browbone, I applied a sheer wash of MAC's eyeshadow in Vanilla (a creamy, slightly shimmery pale cream). On my lower lash line, I applied Make Up For Ever's Aqua Liner in 9L (a soft, pale shimmery gold). To make the gold liner last longer and to enhance the gold tones, I applied a little Gorgeous Gold on top using a MAC 208 brush.  To finish the look, I applied a super bright, yet light golden yellow frost shadow (MAC's Nylon) on the center of my lids and on the inner corners of my eyes. MAC Opulash Mascara in Black was then applied to lashes.

On my lips, I primed their surface with MAC's Lip Prep and Prime and then applied Besame Red. I lined my lips with Make Up For Ever's Lip pencil in 8C.

I really like using shadow creams for my daily look! They are fun and their creamy texture applies like a dream and makes standard powder shadow even more intense!  Talk about fun!

So, If you want to try cream shadows for yourself, I totally recommend MAC Paint Pots ($16.50 USD), MUFE Aqua Creams ($22.00 USD), and Ben Nye Fireworks ($8.95)!

MAC is available at most Nordstrom locations and they also have free-standing stores. Their website is www.maccosmetics.com. Make Up For Ever (MUFE) is available at all Sephora locations and on their site at www.sephora.com. Ben Nye can be found on various sites, eBay, and at Ricky's NYC locations in New York City.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely look--gold looks fabulous on you!

    Ben Nye makes some great products, and you can't beat the price :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love your blog and your style. Thanks for sharing with us your findings '). Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliment, Amanda! Ben Nye is great when it comes to quality and yes, the prices are fantastic! I have their Liquidset that I use with MAC pigments. It comes in a spray bottle. I simply spray a shadow brush and gently dip it into some pigment and the effect really is cool! Pigments and shadows look intense and they last longer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, CACHANILLA73!! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lady Betty - I need all the makeup tips that I can get!

    You are looking stunning in the New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Susan! I hope the new year is treating you well! I am a makeup fanatic and I always enjoy sharing my finds with you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your makeup reviews - I'm finding them really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, your makeup looks fantastic! I love the shape of your brows as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am Rizwana Khan ... I love Your makeup N all products are fantastic .i want to see the images of your smokey eye makeup.

    ReplyDelete