Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Admiring Our Creativity

In the couple of months I have been blogging, I have not only being writing and sharing my views, I have been reading and learning a lot from you lovely vintage girls! Some of you are seamstresses, knitters, bakers, cooks, writers, makeup artists, artists, business owners, and professionals! Despite our different backgrounds, what unites us all is our love of vintage and living a vintage life! And that those things in themselves take a lot of creativity. Whether we use our creativity in decorating our homes or dressing in our vintage wares, creating vintage hairstyles, or doing vintage makeup looks, what we do requires much thought and care. Thus, we all tap into our artistic side in some way every day.

There have been a few occasions while I have been wearing vintage and strangers come up to me and ask if I am "dressed up for a special event" or if I am an artist. Even though I am a writer and business owner by profession, I am an artist. I specialize in acrylics, colored pencil, and clay sculpture.

Colored pencil on paper. Hibiscus and plumeria flowers.

Acrylic on canvas. This is a painting honoring my lost friend and tattoo artist, Kauri Tiyme. She was born in Arizona and she always told me the desert at night was one of her favorite memories. Kauri was also a Doctor Who fan so I added the blue Tardis to show that she is 'off on an adventure across the universe' with the Doctor.

I also make resin jewelry and make beaded accessories. Lately, I have been trying to teach myself how to sew! I bought a little handheld Singer sewing machine to "get my feet wet" and to get accustomed to working on a machine instead of just a needle and thread.

I know a lot of you vintage girls sew and knit, and oh boy, I would do anything to learn each skill! I see so many vintage clothing patterns out there and I am so inspired to make my own vintage dresses but I am afraid of the sewing machine! My sweet hubby bought be a Singer a few years ago and it was only about a month ago that I actually took the machine out of its box and flipped through the manual. The manual alone is imposing! It is more like a novel rather than a guide book! I also have a book on knitting that a friend loaned me. I recently glossed over the book and like the Singer guide, I felt my head reeling! I had no idea there are so many types of stitches, loops, and yarns! The only knowledge I have of knitting is remembering watching my aunts knit intricate cardigans while my dad drove them to Washington, DC for a day of museum tours. They made knitting look so effortless!

Whether I am putting together a vintage outfit, styling my hair in rolls, decorating my atomic kitchen, or painting, I am celebrating my creativity! I hope all of you never lose sight of your own unique talents! May each day be blessed with imagination and wonder!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I am so thankful for my creativity every single day - It has enabled me to be self employed doing something that I love, I can make cards and gifts for people, make clothes for myself, decorate my home...the list goes on... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare,

    Your work sounds like fun! I always love hearing about people getting to do what they love for a living!

    I just wish I could sew well! I am still learning! I can make pillow covers and little curtains but that is it! My sister and mum, however, are mad with the sewing machine! They can make anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sewing machine only takes getting used to. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and after a few disasters and lots of training on cheaper fabrics I finally bought some vintage patterns off of Etsy and am ready to try and make them. I guess you just can't learn without making mistakes first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poalla,

    Thanks for the insight! I totally understand about making sewing mistakes! I have been practicing a lot lately with small projects and yes, I have had quite a few blunders. Even though it can be frustrating, I am learning and having fun!

    ReplyDelete