Monday, June 14, 2010

Are There Vintage Styles You Won't Wear?


Here is me (the toddler) and my sister, circa 1976. I am just under two years old which means my sister is about 8. It was the mid-late 70s. Carter was in the White House, the Bicentennial was happening, and Elton John and Steely Dan played our parents' turntable (or 8 track). The fashion scene was chock full of polyester, bell bottoms, Wallabees, paisley prints, frosted and feathered hair, short, fat neckties, and pointed collars.



I have to say that out of all the vintage out there, the mid-60s to 70s was the worst. I also cannot stomach most things 80s. I lived it and you cannot make me go back to day-glow jelly shoes, Madonna lace, legwarmers, Reebok hightops, acid wash, and zipper-ankle jeans! I wanted a pair of Reebok high tops so bad. My mom, being the frugal queen, refused to shell out the $58.00 and instead, paid $10.00 for a shoddy pair of knock-off from Pick n'Pay shoes. Not only were they ugly, they said "Winner" across the ankles. Yes, "winner." I wore these hideous abominations to school the next day and everyone laughed at me and yelled out, "You're a WINNER!" as I slinked shamefully down the hall to social studies class. Thanks, Mom.



However, there are a few saving grace pieces from the 70s and 80s like simple, black a-line skirts, Diane Von Furstenburg dresses, and boatneck striped tees. Regardless of the decade, each one has its classic, timeless stand-outs. Yet, in my opinion, I think fashion took a nose dive after 1955-1960.

When I do my vintage shopping (on Etsy or eBay), I look for 40s and 50s styles. I will also buy reproduction pieces now and again. I try to keep it simple when it comes to style and price. I will also hit up places like Target, Urban Outfitters, Charlotte Russe, and Forever 21 for layering pieces like retro-looking white blouses, camisoles, cropped cardigans, and accessories like jewelry and belts. I can adapt and make most things fit "my era."

I know it is all about perspective and personal taste but I think some eras of fashion leave me wanting or wanting to run away!

So, what era or looks do you girls like and which (if any) do you avoid?

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I agree that the eighties were heinous! I lucked out since I was born when the eighties were halfway over, but I'm seeing plenty of it this time around. You ski/snowboard, so you must have noticed the trend that took over a few years back: NEON. Sad, sad times.

    I'm pretty right there with you on fashion, although I admire early sixties fashion ala Mad Men, and original skin/mod items like Fred Perry and Ben Sherman. Along with the eighties, I stay away from anything too hippie/bohemian or disco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i won't wear an era i already lived in - i avoid 60's on forward. Some early 60's clothes are still attractive to me but just don't suit my body type. I like to stick to 40's to mid 50's when shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrinky Inky,

    I agree about not wearing clothing from an era I already lived in! So, no 70s, 80s, 90s and so on! lol I, too, stick to the 40s and and for me, the early 50s. I also agree that some early 60s items are lovely but they do not flatter me. The dropped waistlines and sheath styles are pretty but due to their tube-like shape, my body gets lost and ends up looking husky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,

    I totally know what you mean when it comes to the neon ski clothes! I call it the "skittles look!" Thus, I have seen lots of teenage/early 20-something "Skittle kids" on the mountains over the last couple of years. I think it is so funny!

    ReplyDelete