Friday, June 25, 2010

The Baby Cut Post Revisited- With Pics

A about a week ago, I discussed getting a 'baby cut' from my stylist. The Baby is the shorter version of the famed 'Middy' cut that was very popular during the 1940s. The Baby was also the official cut of women serving in the armed forces during the war.

In the first few days after having my vintage hair cut, I found myself having a hard time with styling. I have experimented with pin curling, rags, rollers (talk about uncomfortable to sleep in!), and curling with my ceramic iron. I also tried various parts in my hair and different styles.

After asking you girls about how to style, several of you stated that you often curl hair (despite the method) down from the part and towards the sides of the face. I did this and viola, success. Here is one style with the hair parted in the middle and the bangs are rolled in a pompadour:

Here is a view of the back:

I washed my hair, applied styling glaze from Paul Mitchell, parted my hair in the middle, and I air-dried completely. Then I rolled my bangs back, curled hair as suggested with my curling iron, and fluffed with a barrel brush. I finished the look with Elnet Hairspray.

So far, I am having a much better go of things now that my hair has been properly cut as I am learning what methods work for styling. The cut really has made a huge difference! Before, my hair was cut with modern layers that made my hair lie flat. The u-shaped layers (all being 4 inches) are the key for good curl.

I want to say thank you to all of you who gave me such wonderful advice! I really appreciate it!

4 comments:

  1. If you are ever looking for some good hot rollers for your hair I suggest Remington Tight Curls. They are discontinued but you can still get them on Ebay. They are really popular with cheerleaders lol! I have a set and they work great, but for the length of my hair Hot Sticks works best. But I think the Tight Curls would work great with the Baby cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that haircut is perfect. I only wish I could wear mine that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the suggestions, Temperamental Broad! I visited eBay just now and most sets that are intact with clips cost around 75 to 100 USD and sets that do not have clips are about 55 bucks. I wonder why Remington discontinued this item? I get annoyed when seemingly good products are taken off the market!

    Anyway, I bought a set using buy it now. It was in the original box and had its clips. I did not want to buy a cheaper set without clips. I refuse to drive around to dollar stores and beauty places looking for after-market items. Too much hassle!

    I cannot wait until the curlers come in! You are right that the Baby cut looks better with tighter curls. My current curling iron does okay but the barrel is still a bit big. Also, the curl tends to fall throughout the day. (This is very evident in the photo showing the back of my head).

    Thank you so much for the tip! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Pixie! My stylist really did an amazing job with the diagram for the Baby cut. He had never seen it before so this was his first time doing it. I let him keep the other diagrams for the Middy, Middy Plus, and Femme Fatale.

    All I need now are those Remington curlers Temperamental Broad suggested. I got a set off eBay today.

    ReplyDelete